Happy Teeth-safe Food Month! Food goes hand-in-hand with a healthy life and affects our well-being in countless ways, your oral health included! Being knowledgeable regarding what foods are healthy and which are destructive for your teeth is very important in keeping your smile healthy.
Cavities, one of the most common oral issues, can be caused directly by what we eat. Refined sugar is one of the most well-known causes of cavities. When we eat it, it is broken down by bacteria and turned into acid, which can dissolve the tooth enamel. The more often you consume foods that contain refined sugar, the more detrimental it can be to your oral health. So what are some of the healthiest ways to indulge in your favorite snacks while keeping your teeth healthy?
- Eat sweets at a time you know you will brush soon afterward. Most people will brush their teeth pretty soon after eating a meal. Therefore, this is one of the best times to consume a sweet treat. If you’re snacking on sweets at a random time during the day, you are less likely to brush until later, and the sugar will have more time to sit on your teeth and will be more likely to damage them.
- If you want to snack, find substitutes! Many delicious snacks are much better for your teeth than candy and sweets but can still satisfy your cravings for something tasty! Try snacking on berries or yogurt – they are both sweet and good for your teeth!
- Avoid having sugar in your mouth for an extended time. Some examples of this are soda and candies you suck on, such as lollipops. If you want to enjoy a sugary snack, a quick dessert like a piece of cake or pie is much better. When you are eating something quickly, the saliva in your mouth will be hard at work washing the debris away.
Keeping your diet well-balanced will make or break your oral health. The right foods will keep your teeth safe while also keeping your gums and bones strong. Familiarizing yourself with foods you love that are also rich in vitamins is the key, and is not that hard to do. Foods full of vitamin B12, folic acid, calcium, and vitamin C are some of the best things for healthy gums and teeth. Here are some of our top choices…
- Meat. Meats such as chicken and fish are versatile and delicious. You can’t go wrong with either because there are so many ways to cook and season them! In addition to this, they contain vitamin B12, which is great for keeping your gums healthy.
- Citrus. Whether you prefer fresh-squeezed orange juice or peeling and eating a clementine, citrus is delicious, rich in vitamin C, and perfect for keeping your soft mouth tissue healthy.
- Dairy. Dairy products such as cheese, milk, and yogurt will kill two birds with one stone. They contain both calcium and vitamin B12, which are beneficial to the health of your gums and teeth!
- Beans, seeds, and nuts. These three foods have endless uses and can enhance many meals. They also contain folic acid, which will strengthen the supporting soft tissue in your mouth.
- Dark green leafy vegetables. When people think of calcium, they usually think of milk. However, certain leafy greens such as kale, spinach, and collard greens are chock full of calcium and will keep your teeth strong.
Food allergies are unfortunately quite common. Luckily, the foods listed above are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to food that is good for your oral health. You have many options and will never get bored! Making sure you eat a wide range of foods with the vitamins and minerals mentioned above will improve your oral health and your overall well-being. We can give you lots of healthy teeth tips on our blog, but it’s always better to come to visit us! Give us a call today at (972) 539-4776 to schedule a visit!